My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Dostalgia

Yesterday my friend Vinay posted on FB asking where in the Bay area he can find set dosey similar to what we get in Bengaluru. That reminded me of my NCC parades on Saturday and Sunday mornings during my Pre University College days back in Bengaluru. In my College days I was a cadet in Armored Corps. I would go off to Malleswaram 18th Cross grounds early in the morning to take part in a 4 hour tiring NCC parade which involved march-pasts, standing in ATTENTION and once in a while the drill sergeant would order 'Stand at ease'.
After all the grilling NCC drill, they would give us a coupon for Rs 1.80 for 'New Krishna Cafe' at the intersection of 17th cross and 8th Main in Malleswaram - very close to MES college.
So walking back home from the parade ground I would stop at Sri Krishna Cafe. What could I get for Rs 1.80? As it turns out we could order a 'set dosey' with three thick porous Doseys for Rs 1.80. I would tell the 'hotel' clerk "set dosey. Parcel !! " .
The high light was that they would wrap the 3 Doseys in two layers of banana leaves with - get this - a generous serving of the most delicious gaTTi chutney (Thick Chutney) between the 2 banana leaves. Those banana leaves enhanced the taste of the Dosey and the Chutney by 200%.
I could not wait to go home and unwrap this dosey packet. The bliss of eating it made the 4 hour drill in the morning on an empty stomach and the 30 minute walk back home well worth the effort.

No comments: