My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Friday, October 23, 2015

An open letter to the godess of music Sri Saraswathi from a frustrated singer.




I like to sing. There is no excuse not to, since now there are mp3s, karaoke tracks and oh most importantly lyrics are available.(I have seen many people think that the reason they do not sing is because they do not have lyrics). And finally there are many support groups around me like Sri Shankara Cancer Foundation and Kannada Karoke club which organize Karaoke nights to motivate singers like me.

But still I end up not singing because learning to sing a song is not a pleasant experience for me. Now a days the only drive for me to learn to sing a song is Karaoke events. I sign up to force myself to sing. But the journey from then on to the day of singing is filled with some sense of satisfaction but mostly frustration and discomfort.

The main reason - in fact the only reason is this. "I cannot hit the high notes". When I play a song by SP Balu (SPB) or a Mahammed Rafi song and try to sing along, I will be straining myself to sing like it should be sung. With in a few lines I will realize I cannot sing along with SPB. If I just listen and and later sing by myself (without SPB in the back) then I am not able to reproduce the effect of SPB. Soon head aches, neck pains and stiffness set in and it is time to give up.

I do not mean that I want to be an SPB or a Rafi

But I want to at least sing in the same pitch so that I can follow the musical dance which the singer does. Why do you have to sing like SPB? you may ask. I think that is the best way. What better way to learn than being an Ekalvya when Rafi is the Drona.

Singing in a lower pitch does not sound right because I will not be able to reproduce most of the magic created by the original song. I don't know, to how many people this makes sense, but the kick you get when you can imitate the greats is the real joy. Not being able to do it is frustration.

I am able to imitate the mannerisms and styles of SPB or Rafi to my satisfaction but when it comes to imitate them musically - I am so ordinary. That sucks.

For those who are reading this open letter, who may not know (includes me) the Indian musical system is based on 7 notes which fall into repeating scales. Roughly this is how it looks if you sit in front of the Keyboard (assuming you know the correct way to keep the keyboard in front of you - a vintage Ramesh Mahadevan joke - google 'a gentle introduction to South Indian Music')

Depending on how many keys your keyboard has, the keys and the notes they create are arranged in repeating patterns like this with the notes getting higher to the right.

. . . sa ri ga ma pa da ni, sa ri ga ma pa da ni, sa ri ga ma pa da ni......

I think the good singers can produce notes in 3 successive scales comfortably. Ordinary singers like me can at best produce notes in just one scale. So a good singer has a wider range. Which three of 5 or 7 scales on a keyboard, the good singer can sing, depends on the singer's pitch.

Now coming back to the frustration I experience when I sing, I am not sure if my problem is my lower pitch or my narrow range. The pitch I can sing in is 5.5 (I think that is G ). In the Indian music system of 7 notes which is sa ri ga ma pa da ni, I start straining when I hit the 7th note (ni) or any note in the next scale. And when I start going down the scale like ni da pa ma ga ri sa, any note in the lower scale start sounding the same - a hiss.

So on the day of Saraswathi Puja if the godess of music is pleased with fact that I have been nice, appears in front of me and tells me to make one wish, I would ask for a higher pitch. No wait. I think I should ask for a wider range. Doesn't matter is it? Saraswathi Pooja was 6 days back. Dang, I missed the dead line on this one too?

Let us look at the brighter side. There is no more stress to decide now. I have one more year. Next time I will not only add a reminder but I will seek out the godess of music when my phone reminds me.

PS: I gave the title to post after I wrote the article. So the title is more in keeping with the trend on facebook and other social sites. I hope the readers understand. I think Godess Saraswathi will not mind. So....

No comments: