My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Friday, October 23, 2015

'16 Tons' by Tennessee Ernie Ford

The last time I heard this song was in the 80s. The lone radio station AIR Bangalore (All India Radio) mostly produced news and other informational programs. But once a week on Sundays from noon to 12:30 PM, they had a program when they played requests of 'English' music. It was amusing to listen to the female host speaking highly anglicized Indian English, read out names of listeners who were all local folks.

Some of the frequently requested songs on that program included hits of the time namely 'Beat it' by MJ, 'Hello' by Lionel Richie, Funkie Town by Lipps Inc, many songs by BoneyM and ABBA and some golden oldies like 'There is a hole in the bucket' and many songs by The Beatles. Also there was a song which I thought was "Save all your Krishnaswamy" and my more westernized friend educated me that it was "Save all your kisses for me".

But this song '16 Tons' was my favorite. The song is in the voice of a coal mine employee during the days of company-owned-towns. The best line was when the baritone voice declares "I owe my soul to the company store"

Today I was pleasantly surprised to hear this song on NPR's Fresh Air. The last I had heard this song was in the 80s. Ken Tucker reviewed the newly released box set 'Portrait of an American singer' which has music by Tennessee Ernie Ford
Try this song. It has the feel of a bygone era.



No comments: