My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back to School Night

I attended 'Back to school night' at my 7th grade daughter's school. Back to school night which happens at the beginning of the school year. iis when parents go and sit in their child's class and listen to their teachers. For an hour and a half, each teacher kept taking classes of 10 min duration in their own classrooms. My daughter had listed the order in which I need to attend all her 7 teachers' classes. I also had a map of the school. 

At 6.15 in the evening, I attended the Life Sciences class. The teacher had 10 minutes to tell us about herself, how and what she plans to teach and what are her expectations of the students. Her motto was to get students to try stuff on their own. At the end of 10 minutes the bell rang and the teacher stopped the class. All parents hurriedly got up and went and sat in the another classroom to listen to another teacher teach World history. In this way many groups of parents kept going from class to class getting to know their child's teacher and what to expect during the new year. 

I enjoyed this experience. The thing that struck me most was the enthusiasm of the teachers. The history teacher was smiling with energy when he described a project in which the students make African masks. The Spanish teacher was standing at the door of her class and animatedly waving at parents and inviting them to her class ' Hola, espanol ,aqui' ("Hello, Spanish - here"). The Journalism teacher had plans to bring out a news paper during the semester. He wanted each student to learn how to work with others and learn how to get what they wanted from difficult team members. 

It was nice to sit in my daughter's classroom and experience the fascination of learning new things. I attended 7 classes and found out a lot about the teachers and their methodology. It was evident that for the teachers, teaching was not just a profession but it was their life's passion. It was a great event put up by the staff of the school. The fact that hundreds of parents were seen briskly going from one class to another was proof of the success of the event.

No comments: