My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: The Bicycle Thief (1948 Italian)



The Bicycle ThiefTitle: The Bicycle Thief (1948 Italian)
Starring: Lamberto Maggiorani, Enzo Staiola, Lianella Carell and others
Directed by: Vittoria di Sica

Verdict: As the Netflix website describes this movie as Cerebral, Emotional, Dark, Heartfelt. Great story and beautiful narration.


Score: 8 out of 10


Okay. Today I completed what I consider a pilgrimage - watching the classic movie which is supposed to have had a great influence on the world movie scene - including Kannada movies. That is the Italian movie 'The Bicycle Thief' (1948).

I was expecting a very dreary movie somewhat like an off-beat film. But what a clean cut of a movie!!! It is beautiful. The story is beautiful, the 1940s Italy and its people are beautiful and the musical way they speak Italian is also beautiful.

The story is set during the times when there is widespread unemployment and life is hard. The protagonist finds a job but needs a bicycle. He takes a loan and buys it and takes up the job. What happens after that is a very engaging story with various interesting characters coming into the story  every now and then and showing us a good slice of the Italian society in the 40s.

I like watching movies of that time because they fill in a blind spot in my mind which is the lack of visibility to the beautiful nostalgic past. It makes me admire the past which was quite modern for it's times. Even though we know that automobiles, street cars, buses and electricity existed at that time, it gives me a thrill to see them in actual life. Watching movies  made in those times gives a better and more authentic experience than period pieces made now.

The photography in glorious black and wide is very good in this movie. The movie flows smoothly showing the fine editing job. The music conjures up an era when life was hard. The movie is directed by Vittoria di Sica and stars Lamberto Maggiorani, Enzo Staiola, Lianella Carell and others. The Netflix website describes this movie as Cerebral, Emotional, Dark, Heartfelt. Yes it is all that. I loved this movie for the various reasons I mentioned above. I will give it 8.5 out of 10.  

No comments: