My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review of the movie RED;Isn't there something else I should be doing?

The short review of the movie is at the bottom. This is a preface.

Now a days I feel guilty after watching movies. Actually I feel guilty even while watching them. Here is the source of my guilt. Every movie I watched recently was an opportunity lost in my attempts at writing an article. 

It seems there is absolutely no time to do what I want to do. The running theme of life at the moment seems to be 'isn't there something else I am supposed to be doing?".  Life is busy at all times. In the morning it is time to get ready to go to work. There is also the job of assisting in getting the kids ready to go to school. In the evening there is kids' homework and other daily domestic responsibilities. Weekends do not come alone.  They bring with them kids' dance and music classes and a basketful of laundry.

So weekends and weeknights are both busy times and I can't find time for even watching movies. Writing about the movies I watched is a far cry and time is passing by.

There used to be times when I would look with pity at people who skipped watching late night TV shows Leno and Letterman because it is too late in the night. Hello? Eleven Thirty is too late in the night ? Come on. My day would not be complete without enjoying Leno's monologue or Letterman's Top 10 - often flipping between the two shows trying to catch both as much as possible. These two shows were like desert for my brain that had been fed with the daily dose of boredom. I would even stay up beyond Leno and watch Charlie Rose. Those were the days when I was working on my MBA and I would enjoy watching the occasional 'CEO Exchange' .  These were beyond 12.30 in the night. I would watch them anyway. I wanted to enjoy my day beyond its standard ration of twenty four hours.

Okay. After that digression, my mind is now free to address the original problem I brought up, which is the guilt I experience during and after watching movies.  Having subscribed to Netflix, there is a treasure trove of movies to watch and learn the fine art of  appreciating good movies from all over the world. Isn't it understandable that I would feel guilty for being a passive spectator instead of  learning..ahem.. the art of movie making, acting, music, and photography. OK, that is a bit too many droppings of buzzwords. It might be more believable if I wanted to "learn the fine art of talking about movies". 

There is truth to the saying "There never is time. You need to make time". With some determination I have decided to write about one of my latest movie experiences. One of the obstacles is that we become overwhelmed by the thought of writing an article that is substantial and meaningful. Instead,  to make it less daunting I have decided to write a short review of this movie - just about 10 lines. So there.



Title: Red (2010)
Score: 7 out of 10
Synopsis: Retired CIA operatives seek excitement for old times sake. Good silly action. Ensemble cast. Fun to watch the old boys and girls take part in action.

Starring: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, Helen Mirren, Donald Sutherland,  John Malkovich, Richard Dreyfus, Keith Urban

The star cast itself is a great attraction. I like all the actors including Bruce Willis. This is a super cool movie where a bunch of retired CIA operatives get back into action. Bruce Willis can kick rear even though he keeps being called Grandpa in the movie. It is a fun romp with over-the-top situations and fire fight sequences. Some scenes are so absurd they remind me of  the arrow fights in old Kannada movies where 'sarpastra' (snake arrow) from the left and garudaastra (eagle arrow) from the right keep flying at each other, taking a long time to make contact when one of them undergoes destruction.  Good to see a bunch of old CIA guys beat the bazookas out off of the current tough looking young CIA guys. Nice action movie with good amount of thrill and mild comedy. Acting by the veteran starcast is impressive. May-Louise Parker shines in her role as the romantic interest of Bruce Willis.

Here is a trailer of the movie.

No comments: