My other links

Archives of Kannada Radio Program
http://www.itsdiff.com/Kannada.html

(Kannada Songs, interviews with C Ashwath, PB Srinivas and more)


ರಸಿಕರ ರಾಜ್ಯ
For my Kannada blog please visit http://sampada.net/blog/rasikara-rajya

My first acting performance in a short movie (15 min): Please click here -> Kelade Nimageega - Short Movie

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Review: Death Proof (2007)

Title: Death Proof (2007)
Starring: Kurt Russel, Rose Mcgowan, Quentin Tarantino, Rosario Dawson, Zoe Bell,Sydney Tamia Poitier
Written and Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Director of Photography: Quentin Tarantino

Score: 6 out of 10

I was listening to NPR recently and I listened to Terry Gross's interview with Quentin Tarantino on Fresh Air. I was quite taken in by Tarantino's ideas, they way he conversed with Terry and his apparent passion for movies. He started out as an aspiring actor but at one point realized that he actually liked directing more and so started making the movies which have started a new genre. Terry Gross seemed very impressed with Tarantino's latest release 'The Inglorious Basterds" and listening to her description made me want to watch it. One of the impressive things I heard was that many lines from the movie 'The Reservoir Dogs' have become classics. I heard the one about naming different hit men in the movie with different colors. So before watching the latest movie I wanted to watch Tarantino's other movies and so I got Death Proof.

The movie starts off with three young women going off in a car to a lake side house. One of them is a radio show host who has made an announcement just that morning that her friend will give a lap dance to the guys who comes up to her and says the required lines. They go to a bar where Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russel) comes up to her and wins the lap dance. What starts off like a jolly conversation between girls ends up in a terror situation. Tarantino dishes out this Terror in his famous style including obscenities, blood and gore. What is quite enjoyable to watch is the breezy way Tarantino has captured the carefree life of the young women. We see a second part of the story where there are four other young women who encounter Stuntman Mike. I liked this second part more because the conversation between the women sounded more natural and fun. The stunt scenes on the rustic country side are very thrilling and quite believable.

Kurt Russel is quite menacing. The girls have a cheerful presence. Rosario Dawson's acting is a treat to watch. Tarantino himself has a cameo.

But what caught my attention most for the music. There are some spectacular and very unique tracks which remain in your mind for long. The theme song which is 'Chick Habit' by April May is really cool. The song 'Down In Mexico' by The Coasters is also very nostalgic and takes you to a music world which is starkly different from the music we hear everyday.

The movie was interesting to watch. I would not say there was anything that drew me in. It was like watching a video game. Dialogues and chase scenes and music stood out. But I did not get the same kick as I did when I watched Kill Bill Vol1 or Reservoir Dogs.

Score: 6 out of 10

3 comments:

Seenu Subbu said...

Tarantino's movies are known for their music. I am a fan of course of his "Pulp Fiction" but the theme music, in which Travolta and Uma Thurman dance is really a master piece :-)

Rasikara Rajya said...

Hello Seenu Subbu,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am happy to hear from you and glad to know that you follow Tarantino's movies. If you want to listen to his interview you can do so here
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112286584

vinu said...

Hm.. need to watch this movie now. Just recently saw 'From dusk till dawn' on cable - for the 3rd time.
Its so mindless I just love it.The cursing is so over the top, I still can't stop the winces.
Clooney's just fantastic in it. :)

Not to forget Salma Hayek.